Location: Port Orleans Riverside
Hours: Approx. 4:00 p.m. to Midnight
One of my favorite hotels at Walt Disney World has always been Dixie Landings, or as it is known now, Port Orleans Riverside. It was the very first Walt Disney World hotel I stayed at, where I spent my “Disneymoon”, and someplace I try to stay at least once a year, if not more often. It also happens to have one of my favorite lounges at Walt Disney World, the River Roost.
Official hours for The River Roost are from 4:00 p.m. to Midnight, seven days a week. However, I am pretty sure I’ve had a drink in there earlier than that before so those hours may be flexible, or perhaps they used to be open longer. They serve appetizers from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. The last time we were there they included nachos, buffalo chicken nuggets, and breaded crawfish tails. If those aren’t to your liking, the Riverside Mill food court is just up the hall and you are welcome to grab something there and bring it to the lounge with you.
River Roost’s drink menu is now the standard lounge menu. However, there are some specialty drinks that they serve over at the adjoining restaurant, Boatwright’s Dining Hall, which you should be able to order here as well:
- Blue Bayou – Old New Orleans Amber Rum, Peach Schnapps, Blue Curaçao, and Piña Colada Mix
- Cajun Creamsicle – Old New Orleans Cajun Spiced Rum, Crème de Banana, White Crème de Cacao, and Vanilla Ice Cream
- The Big Easy – Old New Orleans Amber Rum, Southern Comfort, Peach Schnapps, and Tropical Juices
- Southern Hurricane – Southern Comfort, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, and Grenadine
- Jack Daniel’s Whiskey, Triple Sec, and Sweet-and-Sour topped with a splash of Sprite
If you’re not familiar with Bob, you can check out his website here, which also lists his schedule for performing. He’s been playing piano at Riverside for much of the last 14 years or so. It’s a family friendly show of course, with sing-a-longs and such, so you are welcome to bring the kids. He is there usually from about 8:30 p.m. to just before closing.
River Roost is definitely a fun way to wind down the evening, and especially with so little nighttime entertainment at Walt Disney World these days, a welcome option. If you’re staying at Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter, be sure to stop by.